Monday, March 13, 2006

Weekends are great because you get a chance to relax and rejuvenate before beginning another work week.....in theory.

My weekends usually do nothing but exhaust me and this one was no different. I was headed to a James Taylor concert Sunday night. I can't say I was overly excited, I'm not the biggest fan, but I do appreciate his music and thought, why not? I was going with an older sister, my parents, and a couple they're friends with.

My Sunday Schedule:

church....lunch with Dad's side of family....race to church in nearby city....dinner....concert

The day started with my husband and I running around trying to get to church. We had to take separate cars because of my schedule. We went to church and then went to my sister's house to change clothes before the family get-together. I asked my hubby to put the food we were taking (twice baked potato casserole & Mississippi mud cake) into the car we were going to be in. We changed clothes, and off we were!!!

When we got to my aunt's house where the family had gathered, I asked my husband to pop the trunk so we could grab the food and he got that look on his face. He had forgotten to transfer it to the car. I was on the verge of tears, but knew there was nothing to be done. I thought he was really distressed about it though, so we went back to get it. 30 minutes later, we were there with the food.

We inhaled our lunch...my schedule demanded we leave for concert-city in 30 minutes. We left and found out that there was no way we were going to make the rendezvous point with the other concert goers, so my sister and I rode together...I drove.

We made it to church just as the service was beginning. By the time we caught our breath, church was over and we were headed to dinner.

We went to dinner and had just arrived when I noticed my Dad squirming a bit. He said he was having pain near his back but it wasn't his back exactly. My immediate thought: kidney stone. I had one a few years ago and the symptoms sounded familiar.

Knowing I was the least fan among us, I asked if he wanted me to take him to the ER. Basically, we ended up in the ER, but my Mom wanted to stay with him. So, I ended up going to the concert with my sister and my parents' friends.

I can say that JT is truly talented and gives a good concert. I even appreciated his banter, although I 'm sure I would have more if the circumstances were different. All-in-all, I was completely spent. It was rush-rush all day and we couldn't even enjoy dinner.

I think the moral to this story may be to not try to plan a relaxing weekend involving family. It just never seems to work out.

At best, you'll end up totally exhausted and longing for the next weekend and at worst, someone's gonna end up in the hospital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home